Excellent Books are specialists in producing cycling guides of outstanding quality and detail with the emphasis on quality mapping and route descriptions that will let you know what to expect on your ride.
* The route guide books are handily spiral bound, so you can turn to the page you want and fold the book in half, ready for quick reference. The UK Cycle Route Planner is an open-out map. Click on the images for full details.
* High quality colour photography
* Leading reviews in the national cycling press.
* Excellent Books was founded and run by Richard Peace, freelance cycling journalist writing for national media, including Cycling Plus and A to B magazine. Click here for more information on Richard Peace
Now in a fully updated 2nd edition, “Brompton Bicycle” tells the fascinating story behind one of the world’s most unusual and popular folding bikes. Sections include:
•A brief history of folding bikes, putting the Brompton in the context of previous developments.
•The story of how the Brompton came about – from a sketched idea by engineer and Brompton founder Andrew Ritchie, to a bike with major sales throughout the world today.
•Brompton specials – converting for use by children and multiple riders amongst many other uses.
•Using and maintaining a Brompton – tips on caring for and repairing your cherished machine.
•New 184 page expanded and updated 2nd edition for 2017 including new material on electric options, the factory move and titanium manufacture
THE ONLY FULL REVIEW OF THE NEW BROMPTON E-BIKE IN THE LATEST EDITION OF A TO B MAGAZINE – AVAILABLE FREE WITH EVERY BROMPTON BICYCLE BOOK ORDERED
There have been brief ‘teaser’ reviews of the new Brompton Electric but the latest A to B magazine
covers the bike in a full extended review and compares it to one of the current retrofit options already out there.
It’s the perfect companion to the Brompton Bicycle book which is now in a second (and recently updated and expanded) edition
and also has plenty of further info on other electric retrofit options.
‘THE ULTIMATE UK CYCLE ROUTE PLANNER’
In the Ultimate UK Cycle Route Planner, for the first time all of the UK’s signed cycle routes are brought together on one map. Using the outstanding quality and detail of Times Comprehensive Atlas mapping, route networks such as Sustrans’ National Cycle Network and the National Byway are traced. This is the brand new Third Edition of hugely popular map.
Cycling Southern France: Loire to Mediterranean – updated 2016
A comprehensive guide to major leisure cycling routes south of (and including) the Loire Valley in France.
All the major traffic-free routes and signed touring routes are included with:
- Text description of what to see along the way
- And, crucially, quality mapping at 1:200,000 for all the routes
‘CYCLING NORTHERN FRANCE’
270 page spiral bound guidebook and waterproof, folded map bundled together in a plastic folder.
Book and map describe 8 touring routes.
1:200,000 Michelin mapping plus detailed area and town maps.
- touring route directions
- cycle-friendly accommodation listings
- places of interest
Also detailed are an additional 100-plus greenways.
You can order the Northern France and Southern France guides together here:
‘THE ULTIMATE SCOTTISH C2C GUIDE’
- New 122 mile signed cycle route
- Linking Annan on the Solway Firth and South Queensferry on the Firth of Forth near Edinburgh
Mix of country lanes, high quality cycle paths and seaside promenades
- Two major climbs, over the Devils Beef Tub and through the Moorfoot Hills
- Panoramic view of the Lothians, Edinburgh Castle, and the Firth of Forth
Finishing under the Forth Bridge
- attractions along the way
- accommodation and much more.
Electric Bicycles covers all aspects of this rapidly growing form of transport and leisure riding.
- history and development of electric bikes
- classic models
- choosing and using electric bikes
- and much, much more.
‘THE ULTIMATE C2C GUIDE’
The Ultimate Guide to the C2C, with detailed route descriptions, maps and colour photos.
Hugely popular with C2Cers.
Features include accommodation entries cross-referenced to maps and simplified colour-coded listings plus lots of full-colour-photos in this all-colour second edition.
Updates on accommodation and route changes at https://c2c-cycle.com/
102 mile route from either Ilfracombe or Bude on the north coast of Devon to Plymouth on the south coast.
Wonderful route taking in coasts, estuaries and beaches, plus The Granite Way on the flank of Dartmoor, the Plym Valley Trail and the famous Tarka Trail.
‘THE ULTIMATE TRANS PENNINE TRAIL GUIDE’
New for 2017: full colour maps and photos of the Trans Pennine Trail, with places to stay and places to eat.