BIKE RIDE MAPS –
The specialist cycle maps and cycle touring guide books website
We keep stock of a huge range of cycle maps and cycle touring guide books. We specialise in UK and European cycling maps and guide books, with stock of maps and guides for all of the main waymarked long-distance (mostly Sustrans) cycle routes in the UK. So if you are looking for where to buy a cycle map or a cycling guide book, you have found the right place.
From Devon right up to the north of Scotland there are some great rides – I know because I have cycled many of them, and I have added general notes on each as well as some personal observations.
We also have cycle maps listed by county or by area for you to browse through, from Cornwall to John o’Groats, from Kent to Snowdonia, from Tyne & Wear to Northern Ireland.
Long-distance cycle-touring routes
We have maps for all the long-distance waymarked cycle routes in the UK. Most of them are Sustrans National Cycle Network routes, such as the C2C, though some are run separately, such as the Scottish C2C.
You can read more about the most popular of them by clicking below:
- C2C coast to coast cycle map and guide books
- Reivers Route map
- Devon C2C guide book and map
- Land’s End to John O’Groats: LEJOG
- The Scottish C2C
- Hadrian’s Cycleway
- The Way of the Roses
- Coast and Castles cycle route
We also have maps and guides listed by area:
Cycle maps and cycle touring guide books by area and for England’s counties and the regions of Scotland
For example, we have maps covering the Midlands, South East England, Scotland, Wales etc, including the range of Sustrans pocket-size maps, OS Tour maps, Goldeneye maps, National Byway maps and where they are available, guide books showing suggested cycle routes.
For the English counties, we have those same maps and guides split out, eg for Devon, for Cumbria, for London etc, just as we do for the regions of Scotland, such as the Highlands and Islands, Edinburgh and the Borders etc.
Quick links to the shop for cycle maps and guides by area or by county:
International cycle guide books
We stock cycling guide books for various European destinations. Our French cycle route guide books are very popular, plus the cycle map of Mallorca, but there are quite a lot more. These cover the main areas:
- France cycle guide books
- Spain cycling guide books including the popular Mallorca cycle map
- The Danube cycle route guide books
MOST POPULAR CYCLE TOURING MAPS AND GUIDE BOOKS
Waymarked Coast to Coast Cycle Touring Routes in Britain
The C2C or Sea To Sea Sustrans coast to coast cycle route
The C2C is the iconic coast to coast cycle route. Normally done in 3-4 days, the C2C has some testing hills and beautiful scenery. The route is usually done West to East, with start points at Whitehaven and Workington, and end points at Tynemouth and Sunderland.
The Scottish C2C
The Scottish C2C cycle route is a brilliant new route across Southern Scotland. It starts on the Solway coast facing the Irish Sea, crosses the Southern Uplands, and finishes in Edinburgh on the Firth of Forth.
Hadrian’s Cycleway route
Hadrian’s Cycleway is a very popular coast-to-coast route. It starts in Tynemouth along the reverse of the C2C cycle route, but then keeps to the Tyne Valley to cross the Pennines. The route runs through Carlisle, then heads towards the fells of the Lake District, then heading towards the Cumbrian coast, where it finishes at Ravenglass.
Way of the Roses cycle route
The Way of the Roses is a newer waymarked cycle route, starting in the White Rose county of Yorkshire and finishing in the Red Rose county of Lancashire. It takes in York itself, the Yorkshire Dales and Lancaster.
The Devon Coast to Coast cycle route
You could also try the Devon Coast to Coast route. This is a great 2 or 3 day ride from the north coast of Devon to Plymouth via the edge of Dartmoor. It is almost all on disused railway lines and therefore mercifully car-free.
Other Waymarked Cycle Touring Routes in Britain
The Coast and Castles through Northumberland and the Scottish Borders is a glorious route. It hugs a beautiful coastline with lovely beaches and views of castles and islands. An alternative route climbs through the hills south of Edinburgh. The finish is in Edinburgh itself, not a bad place to finish a bike ride.
There are several excellent long-distance cycle routes in Scotland. The Lochs and Glens Sustrans route stretches from Carlisle all the way to Inverness. You can find these on the Sustrans maps for Scotland.
For example, the Coast and Castles North map from Sustrans leads from Edinburgh to Aberdeen, while other Sustrans Scottish cycle route maps include Forth & Clyde, and The Salmon Run.
The National Byway maps are waymarked routes linking Heritage sites in Yorkshire, the Midlands, Scotland and Northumberland.
I have some favourite long-distance cycle routes, so if you are looking for inspiration, you could read a blog post on my Top 5 Sustrans cycle routes.
Land’s End to John O’Groats cycle routes
There is no defined single route, so there are now four different guide books showing options, some quick, some more leisurely journey.
The Sustrans pocket-sized maps would be an ideal way to work out your own options as well. You can buy them all here in one package. Sustrans now also have a guide book which shows the route entirely on the National Cycle Network.
MOST POPULAR CYCLE MAPS AND CYCLE TOURING GUIDE BOOKS BY AREA
We have Sustrans maps, Goldeneye cycle maps and Harvey maps, covering the Yorkshire Dales, the North York Moors and the Yorkshire Wolds cycling routes. There is also the long-distance heritage cycle route in the National Byway map for Yorkshire.
There are Ordnance Survey, Sustrans, Goldeneye and Harvey cycle maps for Cornwall and Devon. Long-distance bike routes include:
- the Devon Coast to Coast guide book from Excellent Books
- the Cornish Way and the Camel Trail on Sustrans maps
- new South Coast West cycle route map from Sustrans
You can read more about cycle routes in Devon in the new blog post, Cycling in Devon.
There is also stock here of Sustrans, Goldeneye, Vertebrate and CycleCity guide books and cycling maps for Kent, Sussex, Hampshire and the rest of south coast of England. The Sustrans South Coast East map carries the south coast cycle route all the way across to Kent.
Cycling in Lakeland and the surrounding Cumbrian hills and coasts has become very popular.
There are good maps from Sustrans and Ordnance Survey, while you can read about a cycle tour of the area in ‘A Lake District Grand Tour‘. This is the separate website for the book ‘A Lake District Grand Tour‘.
Cycling in the North East of England can be a joy, and there are some great cycle routes, with very good maps and guide books to help.
The Sustrans pocket maps are very good, and the waymarked C2C, Reivers, Hadrian’s and Coast & Castles all have a start or end-point here with accompanying maps, while the waymarked National Byway route is a way to explore the area’s heritage on your bike.
We have the very, very good cycle-touring guide books from Excellent Books: Cycling Southern France, Cycling Northern France and Avenue Verte.
We have guide books to cycling in France from Cicerone Books, including cycling the River Loire and Canal du Midi routes.
France En Velo is a guide to cycling end to end in France, with loads of great pictures and maps.
We also specialise in books for cyclists too. Maybe for Christmas or a birthday, or just for yourself? How about:
Including the books of Alastair Humphreys and Anne Mustoe.
Such as The Full English and A Lake District Grand Tour.
Including Electric Bikes, Brompton Bikes, City Cycling, Family Cycling and more.
A range from Vertebrate and Goldeneye covering major mountain bike areas around Britain, such as the Peak District, the South Downs, the Cotswolds etc.
OUR MAP AND BOOK PUBLISHERS
The maps and books we stock are from a wide range of publishers who specialise in cycling. So if you are searching for a particular range, this listing could help. The following are just the most popular:
- Sustrans cycle maps, including the pocket-sized range and waymarked touring routes
- Ordnance Survey tour maps, covering popular holiday areas of the UK
- Cicerone cycle guide books, with guides including France, Spain, the Danube, End to End (LEJOG), and the C2C
- Goldeneye Cycle Maps, the country lanes series and the off-road mountain-bike routes series
- Guide books by Excellent Books and
- Humorous travel bike books from Bike Ride Books
NEW PUBLICATIONS OF CYCLE MAPS AND GUIDE BOOKS
Click on our New Cycle Maps and Guide Books link for news of recently published cycle maps and cycle touring guide books or see the ‘Cycle Map News’ list on the right, including:
- Avenue Verte Cycle Route guide book from Sustrans
- Cotswolds cycle route guide book from Cicerone
- Trans Pennine Trail guide book from Excellent Books
- Long-distance cycle trail maps from Sustrans including the South Coast and the Pennine Cycleway
- Electric Bikes – Busting the Myths – guest blog
- Top 5 Sustrans Cycle Routes
- Electric Bikes for Touring – guest blog
We use Paypal to securely process payments and can therefore accept online payments via Visa, MasterCard and other main debit and credit cards. Or you can use a Paypal account. Either way, your payment using Paypal is secure.
Here are handy links for you to go direct to the shop. Below that are some ideas of our most popular items.
QUICK LINKS TO THE BIKE RIDE MAPS SHOP
- Shortcuts to the webshop for cycle maps for the English counties: Bedfordshire – Berkshire – Buckinghamshire – Cambridgeshire – Cheshire – Cornwall – County Durham – Cumbria – Derbyshire – Devon – Dorset – East Yorkshire – Essex – Gloucestershire – Greater London – Greater Manchester – Hampshire – Herefordshire – Hertfordshire – Isle of Wight – Kent – Lancashire – Leicestershire – Lincolnshire – Merseyside – Norfolk – North Yorkshire – Northamptonshire – Northumberland – Nottinghamshire – Oxfordshire – Shropshire – Somerset – South Yorkshire – Staffordshire – Suffolk – Surrey – Sussex – Tyne and Wear – Warwickshire – West Midlands – West Yorkshire – Wiltshire – Worcestershire
- Shortcuts for cycle maps for Scotland: Edinburgh and the Scottish Borders – Glasgow and the Clyde – Scottish Highlands and Islands – North East Scotland – South West Scotland
- Shortcut for cycle maps for Wales
- Shortcut for cycle maps for Northern Ireland
Finally: we hope you have seen that there are a lot of cycle maps and cycle touring guide books to choose from on the website here.
We’ll be happy send out your map or book.